Another faboulus Christmas recipe added to the collection.
Sugar Free and Low Carb Saffron Buns Filled with Almond Paste
- 4 eggs + 1 yoke (save egg white to brush buns before oven)
- 2 tbsp + 0,75 tbsp liquid honey
- 50 g (1,8 oz) butter
- 1,5 dl (0,63 cups) curd
- 1 dl (0,42 cups) coconut powder (Aman Prana)
- 3 tbsp psyllium husk
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 g (0,035 oz) grounded saffron
- 6 tbsp cream
- 2 dl (0,84 cups) almond powder
- Use an electric blender to whisk the eggs and honey, about 5 minutes.
- Add saffron, curd and melted butter. Whisk one more time.
- Add baking soda + a tiny pinch of salt, coconut powder and psyllium husk and whisk again. Let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix almond powder, honey (0,75 tbsp) and cream into a paste, let sit for a while.
- While almond paste is resting you divide your saffron dough into two even pieces. Put one piece onto a plastic foil sheet, add another sheet on top of the dough, start rolling with a rolling pin until you have an evenly flat square (like when making cinnamon buns).
- Add an even layer of almond paste onto the saffron dough square.
- Remove upper foil sheet and then start rolling the dough into a long piece of dough using the foil sheet underneath as help.
- Use a knife to divide into 2 cm pieces and put in baking cups.
- Mix an egg and brush it lovingly (not too much) at the buns, then sprinkle with almond flakes on the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes in preheated oven 170 C (338 F) hot air. If you don't have hot air add about 25 C (77 F) to the number.
- Let cool a couple of hours before eating, they're at their best when they've gotten cold!
Mind the Home http://www.mindthehome.com/